Featured Posts

Featured Posts
Featured Posts

JADSpirits Travel Log

JADSpirits Travel Log
JADSpirits Travel Log

Daday's Kitchen

Daday's Kitchen
Daday's Kitchen

Our Love Story: Meeting The Parents, The Sabenianos

DSC_1240[1]
Jonjie never asked me formally if I want to marry him. But after our “Isang Linggong Pag-Ibig” we’ve talked about marriage and started preparing for it.

Then last August 27, 1999, we traveled to Bicol to inform my parents about our plan. From work, we went directly to Philtranco terminal in Pasay. We rode the bus going to Paracale, a province of Camarines Norte…it was an 8-hour trip. We arrived at around three in the morning and slept for a few hours.

When we woke up, we did the customary “mano po”  and I formally introduced Jonjie to Itay and Inay. “Si Jonjie po…Emmanuel Espiritu, kasama ko po sa trabaho, taga Las Pinas. Boyfriend ko po."
Itay said, “nakahanda na ang almusal, kain na tayo”.

I did not remember what we talked about during breakfast. But I remembered clearly what happen afterwards. Inay was washing the dishes while the three of us remained at the table.

“Umuwi po kami para magpaalam na magpapakasal na po kami sa darating na Disyembre…sa Las Pinas po ang plano namin.”

And a long silence followed. Then Itay stood up, with a big smile that lit up his whole face and said, “Sa wakas, ikakasal na ang Nene ko”. Then he hugged me and lifted me up.

And while it is happening, I was looking at Inay, still washing the dishes, her back on us. She stopped what she was doing, her hands holding a plate she’s washing…as if turned into a statue. After a few minutes in that condition, she turned to face us…a brilliant smile on her face with unshed tears on her eyes. She never said anything…she just hugged me.

Itay and Inay always called me Nene, which means small girl, never Annie or Cita but when they are angry, it’s Aniceta. And their reaction to our news was understandable…I was 33 years old that time…already an old-maid by society’s standard. And for the longest time, ever since I turned 30, every time an opportunity arise Itay would asked when am I going to get married.

Years later, I remembered asking Inay about her reaction the first time we told her that we are getting married. Why the long silence and the statue-like pose? Her answer,

No comments